As we discussed in our last post, perspective – how you see your life, future and destiny, is what shapes your life. If you haven’t had the opportunity to read What You See Is What You Get Part #1 please do so. For those of you who just want a quick refresher, let me list the first three points of what happens to someone who looks at life with eyes of fear instead of eyes of faith:
- Conflicting Information Causes Pressure
- Scarcity Becomes Your Mentality
- You Get What You Speak
Ok, now that you are caught up let’s take this a bit further and discuss the final 3 things that happen to an individual who chooses to view life through the eyes of fear instead of faith.
- Others Can Get Infected By Your Negativity – When you are negative and fearful you have the tendency to affect others that are around you. I have often stated that fear is contagious and it can be passed around. When they came back from spying out the land those ten spies spread a bad report about the land that they had just finished exploring. It brought fear into the camp.
- You Begin To See Yourself As Being Inadequate For The Challenges That Come Your Way – To me this is one of the saddest things that happen in a person’s life. People who are gifted, talented, and have the ability to do great things are often barricaded by their own negative attitude and get stuck in the proverbial mud unable to move forward. Verse 32 of this passage tells us that they began to say, “the land we explored devours those living in it!” Really? The land eats you up? They go on to say – “ALL the people over there that we saw are of a great size!!” Really? Everybody’s a giant? They exaggerated the conditions and as a result made it seem more ominous than it actually was. When you choose to worry about something or see it through the lens of fear it becomes larger! It is almost as if you are looking through a magnifying glass. The Children of Israel continued, “we seemed like grasshoppers IN OUR OWN EYES!!!! This is exactly what I am trying to get across – this is PERSPECTIVE!! This is seeing your life through the eyes of fear.
- Finally, You Make Yourself Miserable if you choose to look at life through the eyes of fear. Nothing is more disheartening than being around someone who is scared, negative, against it all and constantly thinking that nothing good is going to happen in their life. The moment these spies gave their report the bible says the rest of the people began to weep and cry all night! They also started grumbling and complaining against their leaders and their situation. It is amazing when people operate in fear how quick they are to blame others for their condition. When people are negative and look at life with fear they want to throw a pity party, go in the back yard and eat worms and basically point fingers at everybody else and blame them for how bad they have it! Also, if you live life like this you start second guessing everything and everybody. They wanted to go back to Egypt and die there instead of step into their promise. THAT IS RIDICULOUS – but it happens when you choose this type of perspective.
I don’t necessarily want to end on a negative but I will save the antidote for a future post. I think we all know what it is but how does it play out in our lives is a different story all together. In our next post we will talk about what it means to live life by looking at it through the lens of faith. Stay tuned – It is going to be worth it!
Perspective! We talk a lot about it in life and yet the importance of it still does not diminish when it comes to living with it or without it. The story of Moses and the Children of Israel sending spies into the Promise Land reminds us how important perspective truly can be.
When you examine the story closer you quickly come away with an understanding of how perspective altered the destiny of God’s people. Ten of the spies came back saying, “Yes, it is a land that flows with milk and honey, it is bountiful and fruitful, YET there are giants over there and the cities we saw had large walls around them and….?? For some reason they chose to look at this opportunity with eyes of fear instead of with eyes of faith.
They had the promise of God that this land was going to be theirs! But instead of believing and stepping into their destiny they decided to shrink back and view the present situation with fear instead of faith. How often do we allow this to happen in our own lives? We stand on the brink of as promise, about ready to step into our destiny when fear crawls up on our shoulder and says it can’t be done, you can’t overcome, you will never amount to anything, you are not going anywhere! So instead of seeing our next step in faith we see it in fear and fear strangles our steps from moving forward.
I have discovered there are a few things that fear produces in our lives if we allow it to. These can be discovered in looking at the story of Moses and God’s children just a little bit closer. I will discuss about 6 of them over the course of a couple blog posts but let me give you a few of them now:
- Conflicting Information Causes Pressure – Throughout your life you are going to hear news that is good and you are going to hear news that is bad. What you choose to focus on will determine what you do with your life and where you go with your life. You can focus on the negative or the positive – it is your choice. If you spend your life constantly looking through the lens of fear it is going to stress you out and cause undue pressure in your life. The spies came back with good news but quickly turned to the bad news and it caused stress and pressure in the camp.
- Scarcity Becomes Your Mentality – The idea these ten spies began to spread was that over in the land of promise there was no room for them. Giants inhabited the land and they controlled it all so there was nothing left for these slaves from Egypt. A scarcity mentality causes one to think the future is not going to provide for you so you hoard and hold onto what you have in your present circumstance. When you live with this type of mentality you start telling yourself all kinds of lies – there is no future for me, all the good jobs are already taken, I am never getting out of this present condition, no one wants to hear what I have to say, etc…
- You Get What You Speak – The person who says, we can do this, and the person who says, we can’t do this, are both right! Only two out of the 12 spies came back saying WE CAN DO THIS and they are the only two that entered into the land of promise. Everyone else said – WE CAN’T – and God said, “you are right, you can’t” and they didn’t! These ten spies that came back with that negative report, who saw through the eyes of fear instead of faith, determined their destiny by what came out of their mouth.
I think these three points reveal how devastating it is when we don’t possess the proper perspective when it comes to life. We will always have obstacles and if we are not careful, we will settle for the comfortable and not step into the possible. I know people who never get out of their situation because they feel there is nothing but giants on the other side and as a result they stay locked in their present condition when God is saying all along – STEP OUT!! The giants that are holding you back could be the fear of the unknown or the fear of finances or the fear of ________ (fill in the blank). Why don’t you determine this New Year to see things differently? Why don’t you take a step of faith and believe what God has in store for your life? Are you looking with eyes of fear or with eyes of faith?
Stay tuned for more….
Overcomer’s University has started it’s second semester. Many are saying how much OU is helping them become the overcomer they were called to be. Join now and experience the destiny you were called to possess!JOIN OVERCOMER’S UNIVERSITY TODAY
It seems like it was just yesterday that she was born. A healthy, beautiful baby girl. The last of the Sargent clan and today, she turns 12 years old! It doesn’t seem possible time went by this fast. Where has it gone and how did I get to be 29 years old so quickly??? LOL
As I awoke early this morning and crawled out of bed to begin my day, I realized my baby girl is one year away from being a teenager and to be honest I got a bit freaked out. Time waits for no man and what we do with the time we have been given is vitally important. If you are not planning out your life, trying to make sure every minute you are breathing is making a difference, one day you will wake up and it will be gone. Take advantage of the time you have right now! Don’t wait for that special moment, or that certain year where you finally start living your life. DO IT NOW!! Recognize that you were placed on this earth for a purpose and you only have a certain amount of years to do what you were called to do.
I remember when Averie, my birthday girl, was around 5 years old and I asked her to help me take out the trash one day. As we were heading back to the house I asked her if she wanted to race. As any good dad would do, I let her take the lead and acted as if I was not able to catch her. As we were running I shouted out to her – “Wow!! You are winning! How do you run so fast? ” Through gritted teeth and gasping breath she replied – GOD GAVE ME THE GIFT!!
Maybe she recognized something way back then that is so crucial to life today – God has given each of us a gift and we are responsible for doing something with it! Don’t let time pass you by on the way to your destiny. Let God do something through you and in you that will make a difference in this world.
Take the time to use your gift. Oh…. and Happy birthday to my little princess!
For most people this week begins the “official” start of the New Year. The Christmas decorations are down or in the process of coming down, if you live in my home, because during this season our home turns into a winter wonderland so it takes some time to get it all put away. Needless to say, today – the first Monday of the New Year, begins a clean and fresh approach to a brand new season that is filled with promise and potential.
However, the challenge is making sure we step into the clean slate of a new year, putting into motion the goals and directions that will guide us to success in the coming months and weeks ahead. Over the last few weeks my inbox has bombarded with a plethora of different programs that promise to help me formulate my goals and direct my purpose for 2015. I am sure that each of these have merit and are probably extremely valuable in their approach and structure. I have looked at many of them and have gained great insight.
Although The Life Focus System is not necessarily another product to help you formulate your goals, it is a system designed to help you get things done and build a life that leaves a legacy. My intent in building the LFS is to help you formulate a daily, weekly and monthly process to gather all your important information, while developing a system that makes it simple to complete tasks and focus on the areas of life that truly matter.
The Life Focus System can work hand in hand with whatever program or course you may be going through currently. In fact I believe it can help you focus in on what you may be trying to accomplish when it comes to goals and setting the course for this New Year.
So I challenge you to check it out and enroll in this simple system that will help you get things done and move forward into your potential. Several have already signed up and I am getting some amazing feedback on how easy and beneficial it has been.
Get started right in 2015!
In just a few short days we will be stepping into a New Year as we say goodbye to 2014 and all that it brought our way. This is a great opportunity to spend time in reflecting and planning, preparing yourself for the year ahead. I always spend time at the end of a year working on my direction for the next year and this season I decided to develop a system to help me do that in a much better way.
It is called The Life Focus System and it will be launching very soon. Currently it is still in beta testing and I am finalizing some important details but it will be ready soon and I would love for you to check it out. If you use Evernote or have used it in the past and want to know how it can effectively help you organize your life, goals and projects then you should definitely check out The Life Focus System.
For years, I have been looking for a system that would help me do 3 things:
- Simplify my task management system
- Develop a central location that would keep my life organized – all in one place
- Focus my priorities/goals on those things that truly matter
Having looked and not discovered the perfect fit, I decided to just create it using Evernote. Below is a link to take you to TLFS page where I describe the system in greater detail. In just a few short days I will be opening this program up to the public. I already have several that are anxiously awaiting The Life Focus System when it launches and I would love to have you check it out.
The link to The Life Focus System description page is below and you can learn more about this simple system that is designed to help you get things done and build a life that leaves a legacy. I want 2015 to be the best year ever for you and I believe this system can help make that happen.