Memories! They are powerful forces that often guide us in ways we do not often consider. Can you remember back to your first bike? Or those family vacations in the back of the car looking out the window at the night sky? Memories that send you back a few years and make you feel nostalgic, remembering a time that seems so long ago. I can see a certain picture or hear a particular song on the radio and instantly I am propelled back to a different age. Memories are powerful!
Yesterday my childhood pastor went on to his eternal reward. I have such fond memories of Pastor Henry Moore that came flooding back into my mind when I heard the news. My mother grew up in his church in Salinas, Ca and when I was barely a year old my parents moved back to Salinas and my dad served as the youth pastor in the church for several years. Thinking back, I have such incredible memories of those years spent under his ministry.
Pastor Moore became such an integral part of our lives and made a huge impact on me as a child and as a young preacher. He was a godly man of wisdom and integrity but most of all he truly cared for people. When I was in bible college and even after I graduated, he believed in me as a beginning preacher, barely able to put my thoughts together in a way that made any sense. He unselfishly lent me his pulpit and for that I am eternally grateful. When my wife and I were evangelizing across the nation, we stopped into Salinas so Pastor Moore could dedicate our son Carson. It was a priceless moment and one that I will forever cherish and be thankful for.
In the summer of 2012, Pastor Moore conducted the funeral of my 98 year old grandmother, affectionately known as Nanny Burke. Along with my father, Pastor Moore led us down memory lane as only he could do, recounting the life of my sweet Nanny. He had a way with words and I still remember some of the messages he preached when I was just a kid.
Pastor Moore had a contagious personality and his laughter was unmistakeable. As the news came in through the various social media connections I have, several began to talk about this great man and the impact he made on thousands of lives over the years. Here are just a few that I read:
- He had hand in so many peoples ministries! I don’t think he realized what an impact he had on people! Love him so much! - Kristen A.
- He was so kind to me… always had such a sweet spirit to him. I always think back to the many conversations with him when he not only was the pastor but another father figure to so many of us. Great leader and will always cherish the fact that he was our pastor. – Carolyn V.
- Flooded by many great memories. So thankful for the influence pastor Moore and family had on my life. Praying for the family during this time. - James F.
- He was a great Pastor, leader and great man of God. he will always hold a special place in my heart. I learned a lot through his ministry and teachings and also learned through his kind, generous, and loving spirit. I will miss him greatly. – Nancy G.
- I have never had a pastor like Bro. Moore. He was a Titan in my eyes. He could teach, preach, and counsel. He was the same all the time. He was genuine, down to earth, and just plain real. A high standard for sure. – Phillip M.
As is evident by the many tributes and memories of this great man, it caused me to think about the legacy and memories each of us leave as we go through life. What will we be remembered for? What impact are we making in the lives of those around us? Are we having a positive or negative impact on others?
I pray that each of us could take a moment on this final day of 2013 and look back over our lives to see the legacy we are leaving behind. I trust we can look at the example of those that have gone on before us and determine to leave such a legacy that it will last for years to come.
Thank you Pastor Moore for being the man God called you to be. Thank you for impacting so many lives. Thank you for running the race the way you did.
Our prayers are with the family during this time. You were blessed to have this great man in your life.
PS. If Pastor Moore impacted your life or you have a special memory of him you would like to share, please leave us a comment below. Thanks!